Current Affairs for 22nd January 2016
Current Affairs: India
- On 21st January 2016, The 19th National Conference on e-Governance began in Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- The Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari and the Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions Dr. Jitendra Singh inaugurated the event.
Government issued strict green norms for sugar industries
- On 22nd January 2016, the Centre had notified stricter environment norms for sugar industries operating in various states in the country to minimise water pollution.
- As per the new norms, waste water discharge standards have been made more rigid, by limiting the same to 200 litre per tonne of crushed cane, as against the previous limit of 400 litre per tonne.
Umaid Bhawan Palace named as the World’s Best Hotel of 2016
- On 21st January 2016, Umaid Bhawan Palace which is situated in Jodhpur, Rajasthan won he award of the world’s best hotel at the Travellers’ Choice award organised by TripAdvisor.
- On 20th January 2016, the Nai Manzil Scheme was inaugrated in Jammu and Kashmir.
- This Scheme has been launched for the girls in Srinagar and three institutions have started it which are Skill Development Centre, University of Kashmir and two Madarsas.
- Furthermore, The two Madarsas are Madarsa Shahi-i-Hamdan in Pampore and Madarsa Imam Sadique in Shadipur, Bandipora.
Current Affairs: Business/ Finance
- Renowned environmentalist, Mr. Ravi Chellam assumed charge as the Executive Director of Greenpeace India, a Non-Government Organisation (NGO) on 20 January 2016. He succeeds the former Executive Director Samit Aich, who had resigned in June 2015.
Atulesh Jindal (IRS Officer) appointed as the Chairman of CBDT
- On 21st January 2016, Senior revenue service officer Atulesh Jindal was appointed as the chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT).
- Former chairman A.K. Jain will complete his term at the end of January 2016.
ICC appointed Channel 2 Group as audio rights partner
- On 22nd January 2016, The International Cricket Council (ICC)appointed the Channel 2 Group as its global audio rights partner after it acquired exclusive rights for all the ICC events from 2016 to 2023.
Current Affairs: World
- On 20th January 2016 the Parliament of Moldova had appointed Pavel Filip as the Prime Minister.
- He would be the third prime minister of Moldova in less than a year.
- On 19th January 2016, Italian Director Ettore Scola died due to a prolonged illness in Rome at the age of 84.
- He was born in Southern Italy and had directed some of the world’s greatest actors including Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, Fanny Ardant and Jack Lemmon.
- The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) won the National Award for e-Governance 2015-16 for its Universal Account Number programme.
- Bandaru Dattatreya, The Minister of State for Labour and Employment noted that more than six crore UAN have been allotted to EPF members of which nearly 2.25 crore UAN have also been activated by the subscribers.
India Africa Hydrcoarbons Conference 4th Edition Concludes in New Delhi
- The 4th edition of India Africa Hydrocarbons Conference concluded in New Delhi on January 22nd 2016.
- The conference concluded with a resolve to strengthen the relations between India and Africa in all its dimensions, particularly in the Hydrocarbons sector.
WEF Report declares oceans to have more plastics than fish by 2050
- According to the report released by the World Economic Forum, oceans will have more plastics than fish by the year 2050 if the ongoing practice of dumping plastics continues in oceans.
- Furthermore, the report discloses that every year at least 8 million tonnes of plastics leak into the ocean equal to dumping one garbage truck into the ocean every minute.
Japan became latest country to lift nuclear sanctions on Iran
- On 22nd January 2016, Japan has become the latest country to lift nuclear sanctions on Iran.
- Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said “Japan would like to strengthen our cooperative relationship with Iran further and contribute to the peace and stability of the Middle East through our traditional friendly relationship with Iran,”