For every banking entrance exam, current affairs form an important part; hence being updated with current affairs is important for a bank job aspirant.
Current Affairs for 2nd February, 2016
Current Affairs: World
British Muslims Invite Public to Visit Mosques
- In an event named “Visit my Mosque”, The Muslim Council Of Britain has invited people from all religions to visit 80 mosques across England, Scotland and Northern Ireland on February 7, 2016.
- The People who visit the mosques will get guided tours from the mosque administration and volunteers.
- The objective of this move is to counter the negative stereotypes against the Muslims in UK.
Switzerland Becomes First Country to Propose Unconditional Wages
- A proposal will soon be voted upon by Switzerland in which every citizen would be paid 2,500 Swiss Francs (almost ₹1,66,000) per month regardless of whether the citizen is working or not.
- The proposal, if accepted, would make Switzerland the first country in the World to introduce unconditional wages.
- The federal government will be voting on the proposal in June.
Chinese Army Reclassifies Seven Military Regions into Five New Battle Zones
- On 1st February 2016, the Chinese Army reclassified seven military regions into five new battle zones – the East, West, South, North and Middle battle zones.
- From now on, these new zones will take up the responsibility of responding to their respective security threats, upholding peace and constraining conflict.
Current Affairs: India
Muktesh Kumar Pardeshi appointed as India’s Envoy to Mexico
- Muktesh Kumar Pardeshi, Senior IFS officer has been appointed as India’s Ambassador to Mexico.
- Currently, he is posted as Joint Secretary (Passport division) in the Union Ministry of External Affairs.
Rajasthan Starts a Scheme to Protect Girl Child
- In order to to stop female infants from being abandoned in unsafe places, the Rajasthan Health Department has come up with an initiative with the name of ‘Ashray’.
- Under this initiative, the government will place specifically designed cradles in 65 state hospitals.
- Moreover, the cradles come fitted with an alarm that will ring two minutes after the baby is placed in it.
- According to a research by government body Central Ground Water Board (CGWB), the major rivers of Arunachal Pradesh are free from pollution.
- However, CGWB also said that only 40-45% of the population in major cities in India were served by sewer systems.
Andhra Pradesh’s Kapu Community Turns Violent in Seeking OBC Status
- Andhra Pradesh’s Kapu community has been demanding job reservations under Other Backward Caste (OBC) category after Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu had promised OBC status to the community during Assembly elections in 2014.
- However the protest turned violent on 31 January 2016 as the agitators went on rampage, setting four coaches of Ratnachal Express on fire at Tuni station near Vijayawada and blocked the national highway-16 in East Godavari district.
Current Affairs: Business/ Finance
India Gets Its First Underwater Restaurant in Ahmedabad
- On 1st February 2016, India gets its first ever underwater restaurant named ‘Real Poseidon’ in Ahmedabad.
- According to reports, the restaurant is built 20 feet below ground level and offers its diners a view of over 4000 species of fish all around it.
Bajaj Auto Rolls Out the 150- cc Bike, Christened V
- Pune based two and three-wheeler maker, Bajaj Auto has released the 150-cc bike, christened ‘V’.
- The main attraction of “V” is that it has been built from metal used in country’s most celebrated aircraft carrier- the INS Vikrant.
Low Cost Motorized Wheelchair LOCOMO For Disabled Persons launched by Union Government
- On 28th January 2016, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, the Union Minister for Science and Technology and Earth Sciences has dedicated a low cost motorized wheelchair which is being called Locomo- Wheel Chair to the Indian people with disabilities.
- The Wheel Chair was developed by the Union Ministry of Science & Technology under the Department of Biotechnology, (DBT)’s ‘Make-in-India initiative’.
DIPP agrees to set up India’s first Defence Industrial Park at Ottappalam
- The Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP) of Union Government has given its final approval to Kerala Government’s proposal to set up India’s first Defence Industrial Park at Ottappalam.
- The defence park will be established as part of Union Government’s flagship Make in India programme and State Government’s Make in Kerala project.
Current Affairs: Sports
Kidambi Srikanth of India Defeats Huang Yuxiang of China in the Men’s Singles Finals
- On 31st January 2016, Kidambi Srikanth of India defeated Huang Yuxiang of China in the men’s singles finals of the Syed Modi Badminton Grand Prix Gold Cup.
- Huang was defeated by the score of 21-13, 14-21, 21-14 in three games before Srikanth claimed the title.
Fukuoka to host 2021 World Aquatics Championships
- The Japanese city of Fukuoka will host the 2021 World Aquatics Championships, as announced by The International Swimming Federation (FINA).
- Furthermore, the Qatar capital Doha will host the event in 2023.