Current Affairs are an essential part of every banking entrance. Read further as we present you with the latest general awareness for bank exams in order to help you crack your banking entrance.
Current Affairs: India
Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan Gets Bhimsen Joshi Award
- On 3rd February, 2016, Maharashtras Cultural Affairs Minister Vinod Tawde announced that Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan has been selected for the prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi classical music award for 2015-2016.
CSIR Launched India’s First Ayurvedic Anti-Diabetic Drug, BGR-34
- On 3rd February 2016, the country’s first anti-diabetic ayurvedic drug for Diabetes, the BGR-34, was launched by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR).
World Bank Expert Mr. Iyer to Lead Swachh Bharat Mission
- World Bank’s water and sanitation specialist, Parameshwaran Iyer has been appointed by the Government as the new Secretary of the Drinking Water and Sanitation Department.
- PM Narendra Modi has given this post to Iyer for two years to steer the Swachh Bharat Mission.
Current Affairs: Business/ Finance
Dhirubhai Ambani Centre for Innovation and Research in Bangalore
- Chairman of Reliance Group, Mr. Anil Ambani announced the establishment of Dhirubhai Ambani Centre for Innovation and Research in Aerospace at Whitefield in Bengaluru.
- Furthermore, the centre would generate more than 1,500 highly skilled jobs and will support government’s plan for indigenous design, development and manufacture of defence equipment.
BSE, IFC Jointly Develop Corporate Governance Scorecard
- BSE and the International Finance Corporation (IFC) have joined forces in order to develop a corporate governance scorecard.
- This scorecard seeks to help companies assay their corporate governance performances against national or international-benchmarked practices.
- The companies by using this scorecard can identify areas of further improvement and track progress over time.
Government To Infuse About Rs. 5000 Cr. In PSU Banks This Quarter
- To strengthen their balance sheet, the government will infuse about Rs.5,000 crore capital in the public sector undertaking (PSU) banks in the current fiscal .
- On the sidelines of an event, financial services secretary Anjuly Chib Duggal said “As committed, banks will get fund infusion in the fourth quarter. Banks will get about Rs.5,000 crore,” on the sidelines of an event.
WHATSAPP Gets a Billion Users
- The famous Mobile messaging app “WhatsApp” said that it has crossed the one billion user milestone globally with the addition of 100 million users in last five months.
- As of today, a number of one billion people are using WhatsApp.
SBI and Thomas Cook Team up For ‘Inflation-Proof’ Holidays
- The State Bank of India has tied up with Thomas Cook to offer a recurring deposit to online customers that will help them save towards an `inflation proof’ holiday.
- Availing the holiday on maturity of the recurring deposit is optional as customers can choose from traveling or redemption of their savings.
Budget Session to Commence on 23rd Feb, Union Budget on 29th Feb
- The Budget Session of the Parliament will begin from February 23 and will focus largely on the financial business of the government.
- It is this Budget Session that will present the General Budget on February 29.
DJ Pandian Appointed as Vice President of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- On 3 February 2016, DJ Pandian, Former Chief Secretary of Gujarat was appointed as the Vice-President and Chief Investment Officer of the newly-created Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- His appointment was approved by AIIB, Pandian who is a retired IAS officer of gujarat cadre belonging to the 1981 batch had worked on deputation with the World Bank in Washington.
Aruna Sethi Appointed as First Woman Head of Indian Cost Accounting Service
- On 1 February 2016, Aruna Sethi, the Principal Adviser (Cost), took over charge as the head of Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS).
- Furthermore she became the first woman to occupy the post With this appointment.
Current Affairs: World
India to Participate in Cobra Gold 2016 Military Exercise in Thailand
- On 3rd February 2016, The term Cobra Gold was in news as India has recently confirmed its participation in the annual amphibious military exercise in 2016.
- It is the largest Asia-Pacific military exercise and held in Thailand every year. It is among the largest multinational military exercise in which the United States participates.
- During Vice President Hamid Ansari’s visit to Thailand, the decision in this regard was conveyed to the host country (Thailand).
A Manipuri Documentary Wins Golden Conch Award at MIFF 2016
- Phum-Shang, a Manipuri documentary film Phum-Shang on 3 February 2016 bagged the exalted Golden Conch Award for the best documentary film at the 14th Mumbai International Film Festival for Documentary, Animation and Short Films (MIFF 2016).
- This film is directed by Haobam Paban Kumar, an alumnus of the Satyajit Ray Film & Television Institute, Kolkata. The duration of the film is 52 minutes and it critically examines the serious environmental problems faced by the Loktak lake, the largest freshwater lake in northeast India.