Gk Today presents you with the latest current affairs for 5th February 2016 in order to help you get a step closer towards your aim of cracking the banking examinations.
Current Affairs for 5th February 2016
Current Affairs: India
Bharat Biotech Claims to Develop Zika Virus Vaccine
- Bharat Biotech, an Indian biotechnology company in Hyderabad has claimed to have developed a vaccine to fight the mosquito-borne Zika virus.
- The company has developed the world’s first, two promising vaccines for Zika infection.
- Zika has been declared as a global health emergency by the World Health Organisation.
Ananda Shankar to Address India Conference at Harvard
- Famous dancer-choreographer and speaker Dr Ananda Shankar Jayant will be addressing the high-profile India Conference on February 7, 2016 as part of the ‘Inspire’ series of the two-day conference at Harvard Business School in Boston, Massachusetts.”
Conference on `Make in India’ Held in Mangalore, Karnataka
- MSNM Besant Institute of Postgraduate Management Studies which is based in Mangalore, Karnataka conducted a conference on ‘Make in India’ on February 5.
- Deepak Ishwarbhai Amin, Director, Central Board of State Bank of India, inaugurated the conference and delivered the keynote address.
Current Affairs: Business/ Finance
CAMS Launches Aadhaar-Based eKYC for Setting up Mutual Fund Account Instantly
- In order to make mutual fund account opening and transactions a paperless and presence less process CAMS, the leading services solutions provider for fund houses, has launched Aadhaar-based eKYC (know your customer) using OTP (one-time password).
- As a result, the Mutual Fund accounts can be set up instantly through myCAMS at www.camsonline.com .
SEBI Forms Task Force to Review Risk Management Norms for Commexes
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has set up a task force to review the risk management norms for national-level commodity bourses following the suspension of future trading for castor seed on NCDEX.
- According to a source, after recent developments witnessed in castor seed futures contracts, Sebi has established a task force to relook at the existing norms related to risk management, delivery mechanism, and other related issues.
- In a period of three weeks, the task force has been asked to submit the report.
Central Government to contribute Rs. 1 Lakh Crore for Karnataka Road Development
- The Indian Central government will be spending Rs 1 lakh crore for development of road infrastructure in Karnataka. In addition to this, Rs 200 crore will be spent on developing four light houses in the state in PPP mode.
- Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari disclosed this in Bengaluru on 3rd February 2016 while he was speaking at the inaugural function of Invest Karnataka-2016.
Finance Minister of India Arun Jaitley Inaugurates the Two-Day India Investment Summit
- Arun Jaitley, the Finance Minister of India highlighted the opportunities India presents to investors and sought investment in sectors like road, highways, oil&gas, urban infrastructure and railways while inaugurating the the two-day India Investment Summit 2016.
- The two day India Investment Summit is aimed at attracting long-term foreign investors into the infrastructure sector.
- The logo of National Infrastructure and Investment Fund (NIIF) was also unveiled by Mr. Jaitley.
Reliance Infra to Sell Cement Biz to Birla for 4800 Crore Rs. To Settle Debt
- Reliance Infrastructure (RInfra) has signed a share purchase agreement with Birla Corporation, Reliance Infrastructure Ltd has agreed to sell its cement assets to Birla Corp. Ltd for Rs.4,800 crore.
- Birla Corporation will be acquiring the 100 per cent shareholding of RInfra in RCCPL.
- The Reliance Group belonging to Anil Ambani has been trying to sell assets across its group companies in order to cut debt and expand its new defence business.
Finance Ministry gets a dedicated YouTube channel
- An official YouTube Channel is owned now by the Finance Ministry which is expected to spread information about the official events.
- The Channel will be featuring videos on the major schemes, events, meetings, press conferences and other exclusive videos which relate to the Ministry.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley launched the channel.
BSE Institute Launches New Accelerator for Start-Ups
- In order to contribute to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s startup India mission, BSE Institute Ltd which is a wholly owned subsidiary of BSE Ltd, has launched a new accelerator for start-ups.
- This accelerator is set up by BSE Institute in collaboration with Ryerson Futures Inc (Toronto), the technical arm of Ryerson University from Ontario, Canada.
Business to Business meet for Small and Medium- sized Enterprises Begins in Kochi
- The three-day Kerala Business-to-Business Meet 2016 has begun at the CIAL Trade Fair & Exhibition Centre in Nedumbassery.
- This business meet will provide the SMEs (Small and Medium Sized Enterprises) in Kerala a greater exposure to businesses outside Kerala and even India, as said by Minister for Public Works VK Ebrahim Kunjuiv.
Viacom Appoints CEO Dauman as Executive Chairman
- The broadcasting and cable company, Viacom’s board of directors have named CEO Philippe Dauman as executive chairman.
- Dauman will be succeeding founder Sumner Redstone.
Current Affairs: Sports
Rahul Dravid in ICC’s Anti-Corruption Oversight Group
- Former Indian Player, Rahul Dravid has been named in ICC’s newly appointed Anti-Corruption Oversight Group as part of the recommendation from its Integrity Working Party of the parent body.
- He is currently coaching the Indian team in the ongoing U-19 World Cup, which is being held in Bangladesh.