Current Affairs for 7th February 2016
Current Affairs: India
- On 5th February 2016, The Intellectual Property Appellate Board (IPAB) ordered Chennai based Geographical Indications Registry (GIR) to issue the ‘Geographical Indication’ tag for basmati rice.
- This tag of Geographical Indication will be issued to basmati rice variety grown in 7 states in the Indo-Gangetic Plains (IGP) on the foothills of the Himalayas.
- The 7 states are Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, parts of Uttar Pradesh and Jammu & Kashmir.
- On 6th February 2016, Sudhir Tailang, the famous political cartoonist passed away after battling brain cancer for a long time in Gurgaon, Haryana. He was 55.
- J.P. Nadda, the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare has launched Project Sunrise for prevention of AIDS specially among people injecting drugs in the 8 North-Eastern states.
- A decision has been taken by The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare to set up the National Organic Farming Research Institute (NOFRI) in Sikkim.
- h Union Agriculture Minister Radhamohan Singh took the decision after he met Sikkim Agriculture Minister Som Nath Paudyal in New Delhi.
- An international military exercise hosted and conducted by Indian Navy, The International Fleet Review (IFR) 2016 was inaugurated in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
Current Affairs: World
Sushma Swaraj Inaugurated Rise of Digital India Exhibition in Colombo
- On 6th February 2016, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj inaugurated the Rise of Digital India Exhibition in Colombo.
- The exhibition was a part of Sangam -The Festival of India in Sri Lanka 2015-16.
- The Rise of Digital India exhibition showcases the initiative of Indian government to extend the benefits of Information Technology to a common man.
- On 5th February 2016, the President of Zimbabwe Robert Mugabe declared a state of disaster in rural parts of the country hit by a drought.
- The declaration of a disaster will allow international donors to raise money quickly in order to provide food aid to the nation.
Current Affairs: Business/ Finance
- A Memorandum of Undertanding has been igned by the Corporation Bank with Universal Sompo General Insurance Co Ltd for provision of accident death coverage to its savings bank account holders under Corp Signature, Corp Super and Corp Saral category.
Indian Origin Singaporean Appointed as President of International Grown Diamond Association (IGDA)
- On 7th February 2016, Vishal Mehta, a 34 year old Indian origin man based in Singapore was appointed as the president of the newly- formed International Grown Diamond Association (IGDA).
- The Union Ministry of Urban Development has approved projects worth more than Rs.12 crore to improve tourist infrastructure in heritage locations in Amaravati in Andhra Pradesh and Warangal in Telangana.
- According to an official press release, an Inter-Ministerial National Empowered Committee for the Heritage City Development and Augmentation Yojana (HRIDAY) approved the projects including a heritage park in Amaravati and developmental works at the 1000 Pillar Temple and Kazipet Durgah and rejuvenation of pondat Padmakshi Temple in Warangal city.
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi inaugurated a petrochemical project in Lepetkata in Dibrugarh, which is the first such project of North-East.
- The name of the project is Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Ltd (BCPL).
MoU Signed on Health and School Renovation Between India and Sri Lanka
Current Affairs: Sports
Kohli Replaces Finch As No 1 Batsman In T20 Internationals
- Indian Player Virat Kohli was rewarded for his stupendous performance in India’s clean sweep against Australia in the T20 internationals as he becomes the top-ranked batsman in the ICC list for the shortest format, replacing Aaron Finch.