GK Today brings you the current affairs for 16th January 2016 so that you can come one step closer to realizing your dream of getting a bank job. Read further to know about the news for today.
Current Affairs for 16th January 2016
Current Affairs: India
Odd- Even scheme Over in Delhi
- On 16th January 2016, Delhi saw an end to the Odd- Even Scheme that was introduced by Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
- Furthermore CM Arvind Kejriwal has said that the scheme will return in new form.
Hall of Nuclear Power inaugurated in the Capital
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated Northern India’s first permanent exhibition on nuclear power which is titled as ‘Hall of Nuclear Power – Atoms Serving the Nation’.
- The exhibition will be open to the public at National Science Centre (NSC).
NDRF establishes new battalion at Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
- The 12th and the latest battalion of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), was prepared on 15 January 2016 at Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh.
- Initially, NDRF will use land of the Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) in Itanagar and will soon submit a proposal to purchase land worth Rs. 33 crore from the Arunachal Pradesh government.
Prabhu announces World Bank to be anchor investor in Rail Development Fund
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said that the anchor investor in the new Railway Development Fund would be the World Bank.
- After his meeting with the officials of World Bank, Prabhu said “We have decided to work with the World Bank on creating a Railway Development Fund. This was already initiated. But now, we have taken it forward.”
Start-Up India mission gets a kick start
- On 16th January 2016, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley gave a kick- start to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s ambitious Start- Up India mission at Vigyan Bhavan in New Delhi. This mission envisions technology business incubators and research parks.
- The Startup India, Standup India initiative aims to celebrate the country’s industrial spirit, and create a strong ecosystem for developing innovation and startups in India.
- This mission is organized by Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP), along with other key Indian startup ecosystem players.
Kochi’s ‘Startup Village’, an initiative by Narendra Modi is plotting more success
- In Kerala’s business capital Kochi, an idea took root four years ago in the hope of attracting the best entrepreneurial minds amongst youngsters and creating successful start-ups.The idea was called Startup Village (SV) and was an emerging idea then that drew not much attention.
- However at present, on the cusp of the launch of a nationwide campaign aiming to generate startups across the country, Startup Village in Kochi has a list of grand accomplishments and a grander vision.
Current Affairs: Sports
Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis create world record
- The 2016 WTA Apia International title in the women’s doubles category has been won by Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis.
- The Indo- Swiss pair with this victory has created a world record for most successive matches won consecutively by women’s doubles pair in professional tennis.
Marat Safin inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame
- Marat Safin of Russia, former No. 1 World tennis player has been inducted in the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
- Formally, he will be inducted in the official ceremony which is scheduled for 16th July, 2016.
- Safin is the first Russian ever to be inducted in the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Current Affairs : Business/ Finance
Flipkart ties- up with Mahindra
- Flipkart, the online marketplace has recently tied up with auto major Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd in order to exclusively launch the latter’s new SUV- KUV 100.
- From January 18th 2016, consumers can book the SUV on Flipkart.
World Development Report 2016: Digital Dividends Report Released by the World Bank
- On 14th January 2016, The World Bank released a report entitled titled World Development Report 2016: Digital Dividends in Washington DC, the USA.
- The impact of the internet, mobile phones, and related technologies on economic development across the world including India was explored in the report.
Current Affairs: World
Infrastructure Investment Bank launched by Chinese President Xi
- Chinese President Xi Jinpig formally launched the China-backed Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), in which India and 56 countries have joined as founding members.
- Addressing the ceremony of the bank, Xi said “This is a historical moment.”
Ankita Anand won the Lorenzo Natali Media Prize
- A self-regulating Delhi- based writer Ankita Anand won the European Commission’s prestigious Lorenzo Natali Media Prize for 2015 in Asia and the Pacific amateur category on 14th January 2016.
- The award was bestowed upon her for her sensitive portrayal of life for young women facing the threat of the diktat of khap panchayats in Haryana with the title Stirrings beneath the peepul published in the journal The Equator Linel.
Dr Jancy James selected for Prof MV Pylee Award
- The first ever woman Vice Chancellor of Kerala Dr. Jancy James was selected for the Prof MV Pylee Award for the Distinguished Academician of India on 15th January 2016.
- Cochin University of Science and Technology in the name of MV Pylee established the award.