Current Affairs for Bank Exams for 21st January 2016
General Awareness for Bank Exams: World
MoU on cooperation in space exploration signed by ISRO and Kuwait
- On 20th January 2016, The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) and Kuwait Institute of Scientific Research (KISR) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the exploration and use of outer space for peaceful purposes.
World Economic Forum Meeting began in Davos, Switzerland
- The World Economic Forum meeting which is held annually began in Swiss resort of Davos, Switzerland with participation of political leaders and business from around the world.
- The agenda of this edition of WEF meeting includes the outlook of the global economy and measures to fight terrorism.
General Awareness for Bank Exams: India
Mrinalini Sarabhai, the Influential Dancer passed away
- Influential danseuse Mrinalini Sarabhai who was the wife of late Dr Vikram Sarabhai, father of India’s space programme, passed away on Thursday due to age-related health complications at the age of 97.
- On 21st January 2016, Mrinalini Sarabhai died in a hospital in Ahmedabad and had been admitted there a day before.
MI- 25 Helicopters all set to join Afghan Air Force
- Three Mi-25 gunship helicopters supplied by India are set to officially join the Afghan Air Force on 21st January 2016.
- The gunships, delivered at the end of December last year, had been in the assembly process.
- An interim consultancy agreement has been signed between The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and Kerala Rapid Transit Ltd (KRTL) for the Rs. 6,728-crore ‘light metro’ in Thiruvananthapuram and Kozhikode.
- KRTL is a special purpose vehicle set up by the state government to execute the mass rapid transport system for the two cities.
Aamir Khan replaced by Amitabh Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra as ‘Incredible India’ brand ambassadors
- The centre’s decision to discontinue bollywood actor Aamir Khan’s contract as the brand ambassador of Incredible India has been carried out by replacing the actor with Amitabh Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra.
- Aamir Khan had angered the BJP-led government with his remarks on perceived intolerance in the country.
Rahul Thakkar to get an Oscar in Technical Category
- The official website of Oscar awards has declared that Rahul Thakkar who is an Indian Origin actor and producer will be presented with the Technical Achievement Award for his contribution to cinema through “groundbreaking design”.
Book titled The Z Factor released by PM Narendra Modi
- On 20th January 2016, The Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi released a book which is titled as The Z Factor: My Journey as the Wrong Man at the Right Time in New Delhi.
- The book has been authored by the promoter of Essel/ Zee Group Subhash Chandra and is an autobiographical account of how a ‘truly desi’ self-made businessman came to Delhi at age twenty with seventeen rupees in his pocket.
MoU between India and UK on cooperation in governance reforms approved by the Union Cabinet
- On 20th January 2016, the Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and United Kingdom on cooperation in governance reforms.
- The MoU, was signed in November 2015 and seeks to extend bilateral cooperation in public administration and governance reforms.
- On 20th January 2016 The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved setting up over 5000 MW of Grid-Connected Solar PV Power Projects on build, own and operate basis.
- Solar Power Developers (SPDs) will implement the project with Viability Gap Funding (VGF) under Batch-lV of Phase-ll of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM).
General Awareness for Bank Exams: Business/ Finance
Banks asked to stop Rs 1,000 notes without security thread by the RBI
- On 21st January 2016, The Reserve Bank of India said that it has received complaints about notes of Rs 1,000 denomination without the security thread being in circulation.
- Hence, RBI has asked banks not to issue Rs 1,000 notes without security threads.
Report of Narayan Murthy-panel on Alternative Investment Policy released by SEBI
- On 20th January 2016 the first report of the Alternative Investment Policy Advisory Committee (AIPAC) for comments from the stakeholders was released by The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI).
- The committee has 21 members and was constituted by the SEBI in March 2015, under the chairmanship of N R Narayan Murthy in order to suggest measures for development of the alternative investment funds (AIFs) and startup eco-system in the country.
General Awareness for Bank Exams: Sports
- On 20th January 2016, Uttar Pradesh won its maiden Mushtaq Ali T20 Trophy with a 38-run win over two- time champions Baroda in the final played at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai.
- This was ninth straight win for Uttar Pradesh in the tournament.