GK Today presents you with the latest current affairs for bank exams so that you are able to ace your examinations and land the job of your dreams. Read further to check out the news for 23rd December, 2015.
Current Affairs for Bank Exams for 23rd December, 2015
Current Affairs for Bank Exams: India
Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2015 passed by Rajya Sabha
- On 22nd December, 2015, Rajya Sabha passed the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2015 which replaces the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2000.
- The bill permits juveniles who are between 16-18 years of age to be tried as adults for odious offences. Furthermore, a 16- 18 year old who commits a less serious offence may be tried as an adult only if he is apprehended after the age of 21 years.
Patna Metro Rail Project approved by Mr. Nitish Kumar
- Bihar chief minister, Mr. Nitish Kumar approved the much anticipated Patna Metro Rail project’s proposal on 22nd December 2015.
- The proposal will now be sent to the union government for clearance.
Current Affairs for Bank Exams: World
Philippines became the first Asian country to approve dengue Vaccine
- On 22nd December, 2015, Philippines became the first Asian country to approve the sale of the first ever dengue vaccine of the world, Dengvaxia.
- The food and drug administration of Philippines approved the dengue vaccine in order to prevent the disease. On 9th December, 2015, the vaccine which is manufactured by the French pharmaceutical giant ‘Sanofi’ secured its first regulatory approval in Mexico.
Zimbabwe to adopt Chinese Currency Yuan
- Patrick Chinamasa, the Finance Minister of Zimbabwe announced on 21st December 2015 that the country has planned to adopt the Chinese currency which is ‘Yuan’ as legal tender.
- This will be done in return for debt cancellation worth 40 million dollars in the second week of December, 2015.
Current Affairs for Bank Exams: Business/ Finance
Helpline created by RBI to guide start- ups in India on Forex matters
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) created a dedicated helpline (email) on 22nd December 2015, in order to offer assistance to start- ups in India on Forex matters.
- In order to get guidance on helpline, the enterprises will be asked to provide full details to the Reserve Bank and mention the specific issues on which they wish to receive assistance.
Investment of 5000 Crore Rupees approved by CCEA into ONGC Videsh
- CCEA (Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs) approved investment of 5000 crore rupees by ONGC limited into the equity share capital of ONGC Videsh Limited by conversion of existing loan equivalent amount into equity on 22nd December, 2015.
- This approved investment will strengthen the capital base of ONGC Videsh and will enhance the aility of ONGC to undertake overseas exploration and production (E and P) business.
Pawan Kumar Agarwal appointed as CEO of FSSAI
- Pawan Kumar Agarwal, senior IAS Officer was appointed as the Chief Executive officer (CEO) of food regulator Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) on 22nd December, 2015.
- He succeeded Yudhvir Singh Malik who had been shifted as additional secretary in Niti Aayog in September 2015.
Current Affairs for Bank Exams: Sports
ICC Awards Winners Announced
On 23rd December, 2015, the ICC (International Cricket Council) announced the winners for the 2015 ICC Awards in Dubai, UAE. Following are the winners of the various awards:
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year – Steven Smith (Australia)
- ICC Test Cricketer of the Year – Steven Smith (Australia)
- ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year – AB de Villiers (South Africa)
- ICC Women’s ODI Cricketer of the Year – Meg Lanning (Australia)
- ICC Emerging Cricketer of the Year – Josh Hazlewood (Australia)
- ICC Associate and Affiliate Cricketer of the Year – Khurram Khan (UAE)
- ICC Twenty20 International Performance of the Year – Faf du Plessis (South Africa)
- ICC Women’s T20I Cricketer of the Year – Stafanie Taylor (West Indies)
- David Shepherd Trophy for ICC Umpire of the Year – Richard Kettleborough
- ICC Spirit of Cricket Award – Brendon McCullum (New Zealand)
Sepp Blater and Michel Platini banned from football for 8 years
- The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics committee banned FIFA President ‘Sepp Blatter’ and the Vice- President and member of the executive committee of FIFA and President of UEFA, ‘Michel Platini’ on 21st December, 2015.
- Blatter and Platini were banned for a period of eight years from all football related activities and have also been fined a sum of 40,000 US Dollars and 80,000 US Dollars respectively.
Winners of 2015 World Champions announced by International Tennis Federation
- The International Tennis Federation (ITF) announced winners of 2015 World Championships on 22nd December, 2015. The awards were bestowed on the basis of the performance of the players in the 2015 season.
- The awards will be received by the players at the 2016 ITF World Champions Dinner on 31 May 2015, in Paris, during Roland Garros.
- The names of the awardees are as follows:
- Men’s World Champion – Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
- Women’s World Champion – Serena Williams (the USA)
- Men’s Doubles World Champions – Jean-Julien Rojer (Netherlands) & Horia Tecau (Romania)
- Women’s Doubles World Champions – Martina Hingis (Switzerland) & Sania Mirza (India)
- ITF Junior World Champions – Dalma Galfi (Hungary) & Taylor Fritz (the USA)
- ITF Wheelchair World Champions – Jiske Griffioen (Netherlands) & Shingo Kunieda (Japan)