Current Affairs for 25th January 2016
Current Affairs: Business/ Finance
India’s first Social Mobile Wallet App launched by TranServ
- TranServ, India’s digital payment startup company launched the country’s first Social Mobile Wallet named Udio.
- This digital wallet seeks to address the gap between real and virtual modes of payment as it has more social experience.
New CMD for GIC Re
- Alice Vaidyan has been appointed as the new Chairman and Managing Director of General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re).
- She will be holding the office till 31st July, 2019.
- GIC Re is presently the only reinsurance company in India.
- Good news for LPG users as now they can pay online for their cylinder refills on the website www.mylpg.in soon after booking their refill for delivery.
- This is the latest part of the online refill booking facilities introduced by the three public sector oil marketing companies in the past two years.
- The facility was launched on 25th January, 2016 by Dharmendra Pradhan, Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas.
Current Affairs: India
- BJP chief Amit Shah was re- elected as the president of the party on 25th January 2016.
- During the nomination process, top party leaders led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a group of Union ministers and chief ministers of BJP-ruled states proposed his name for the party president’s post.
Giriputrika Kalyana Pathakam Scheme for tribal people launched by Andhra Pradesh Government
- Government of Andhra Pradesh on 22nd January 2016, launched the Giriputrika Kalyana Pathakam Scheme for tribal people in order to support the tribal women in their quest for livelihood.
- Ravela Kishore Babu, Andhra Pradesh Minister for Social Welfare, launched the scheme.
- On the morning of 25th January 2016, National award-winning actress Kalpana, who appeared in 300 films including recent superhit “Charlie”, died in Hyderabad.
- She was 51 and died due to a heart attack.
- Distinguished Tabla player, Shankar Ghosh passed away on 22nd January 2016 after a prolonged illness.
- He was 80 years old and is survived by his wife, a son, a daughter- in- law and two grandsons.
- Renowned actor Rajnikanth and spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar were awarded the prestigious Padma Vibhushan award.
- Furthermore, Former CAG Vinod Rai, Bollywood actor Anupam Kher and singer Udit Narayan were awarded the Padma Bhushan Award.
6th National Voters’ Day observed
- On 25th January 2016, the 6th National Voter’s Day was observed across the nation by the Election Commission of India.
- The theme for the 6th National Voter’s Day was ‘Inclusive and Qualitative Participation’.
Current Affairs: World
Presidential Election of Portugal won by Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa
- On 24th January 2016, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa won the Presidential election of Portugal.
- Sousa is a centre-right Social Democrats candidate and a former journalist; he won the election by securing 52 percent of votes.
- On 24th January 2016, India and France inscribed 16 agreements at the India-France Business Summit in Chandigarh.
- A wide range of sectors were covered by the MoU including those of urban development, urban transport, water and waste treatment and solar energy.
Current Affairs: Sports
- On 24th January 2016, Izumo Takuto from Japan and Zhu Chengzhu from Hong Kong became champions in the boys’ and girls’ categories, respectively, in the 11Even Sports 2015 ITTF World Junior Circuit Finals held at the Abhay Prashal Stadium, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- P.V. Sindhu from India who is a two- time World Championship bronze-medalist made an exhilarating start to the new season as she clinched the Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold title after defeating Scotland’s Kristy Gilmour in straight games in the final in Penang on 24th January, 2016
- This is her second Malaysia Masters Grand Prix Gold title, as she had won it in 2013 as well.
- On 24th January 2016, India triumphed the first T20 Asia cup cricket for Blind.
- India defeated Pakistan by 44 runs in the final clash played at Jawaharlal Nehru stadium of Kochi in Pakistan.