Current Affairs for 3rd February 2016
Current Affairs: India
Samariya Given Additional Charge as CPFC
- HL Samariya, an IAS officer (1985 Batch) from the Telangana cadre, has been given additional charge as Central Provident Fund Commissioner (CPFC), for three months or till the appointment of a regular incumbent or till further orders, a release said.
- Samariya is currently Additional Secretary in the Labour Ministry.
Haryana, Ontario Sign Pact for Cooperation
- On 3rd February 2016, Haryana and the Province of Ontario in Canada signed an MoU aimed at enhancing commercial and cultural ties.
- The MoU was signed by the Managing Director of Haryana State Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd, Sudhir Rajpal, and Deputy Minister of Ontario Ministry of Citizenship, Immigration and International Trade, Helen Angus, in the presence of Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar, Premier of Ontario, Kathleen Wynne, and Premier of Prince Edward Island, Wade MacLauchlan.
ZTE Soft Signs Pact With Andhra Pradesh Government
- Chinese technology company ZTE signed a pact with the Andhra Pradesh Government to work on smart city projects in the state.
- As a company that is associated with a number of smart city projects, the diversified telecom and technology major ZTE has planned to engage itself with the state and work on the upcoming smart city projects in Andhra Pradesh.
- Balram Jakhar, Veteran Congress leader and former Lok Sabha Speaker, passed away in New Delhi on 2nd February 2016.
- He was 92 years old.
- On 3rd February 2016 Chief Minister of Karnataka, Siddaramaiah urged the global investor community at ‘Invest Karnataka 2016’ to consider Karnataka as their partner for growth.
- Siddaramaiah pointed out, citing the Global Startup Eco-system Ranking Report 2015 that Bengaluru is the only Indian city to be ranked among the 20 Startup Eco- systems in the World.
Current Affairs: World
- Vice President of India, Mr. Hamid Ansari reached Thailand on a three-day visit during which he will hold discussions on a range of issues with the country’s top leadership to boost bilateral ties.
- Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister Prajin Juntong received him at the airport.
- Furthermore, Ansari will have a one-to-one meeting with Thai Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, who will also host a banquet in Ansari’s honour.
Titli Becomes the First Indian Film to Win Best First Foreign Film Award by FSCC
- Titli, the movie directed by Indian film-maker Kanu Behl, bagged the Best First Foreign Film Award conferred by the French Syndicate of Cinema Critics 2016 (FSCC), on 1st February, 2016.
- The movie has earlier won at various international film festivals at places like Bordeaux, Hawaii, New York, Turkey and Spain.
Current Affairs: Business/ Finance
- Former deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India, S.S. Tarapore passed away at a hospital in Mumbai on the morning of 2nd February, 2016.
- He was 80 and was also a noted economist.
Ban Ki Moon Appoints Major General Menon as Head of UNDOF
- Ban Ki Moon, the Secretary General of United Nations has appointed Major General Jai Shanker Menon of the Indian Army, a veteran of peacekeeping operations, as the head of a key United Nations force stationed in Golan to maintain the ceasefire between Israeli and Syrian forces.
- Major General Menon has been named as the Head of Mission and Force Commander of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF).
- Jai Kumar Garg was appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Corporation Bank for a period of three years by the Union Government.
- On 1st February 2016, Garg took charge of the public sector bank and succeeded S R Bansal, who superannuated from services as CMD on 31 January 2016.
TCS Rated World’s Most Powerful Brand in IT Services
- On 3rd February 2016, Tata Consultancy Services, India’s top multinational IT company was rated as the world’s most powerful brand in Information Technology Services by a leading global brand valuation firm.
- The overall brand value of the company has increased from $2.34 billion in 2010 (when the first evaluation of the TCS brand was conducted) to $9.4 billion in 2016.
Reliance Entertainment, Neeraj Pandey Join Hands to Form Film Production Venture
- Reliance Entertainment owned by Anil Ambani on 3rd February 2016 announced a joint venture with film-maker producer duo Neeraj Pandey and Shital Bhatia’s Friday Filworks for production of movies.
- Rustom with Akshay Kumar as the hero will be the first movie under the banner, Plan C Studios.
- Furthermore, Plan C Studios will be an equal partnership joint venture between the two, the company said in a statement.
Current Affairs: Sports
Kerala Wins 61st National School Athletics Championship
- On January 29 2016, The National School Athletics championship began and concluded on February 2.
- Kerala emerged as the overall winner for the 19th consecutive time. The National School Athletics Championship was held at Olympian Rahman Stadium in Kozhikode, Kerala.