In order to clear your banking entrances, it is important that you are conscious of what’s happening in the world. GK Today therefore presents you with current affairs 2016 so that you are one step closer towards your aim.
Current Affairs for 7th January 2016
Current Affairs: India
India’s first River Information System launched by Gadkari
- Nitin Gadkari (Union Shipping Minister) on 6th January 2016 had inaugurated first ever River Information System in India in order to facilitate safe and accurate navigation on National Waterway- 1(the Ganga River).
- According to an official statement, Gadkari said, “While it remains a challenge how to develop the waterways of the country, the River Information System is a major step in realising the dream of waterways.”
International Media Conference to be held in Mysuru
- A not-for-profit-organisation, The Global Communication Association (GCA) will be hosting the 11th international conference of Media experts and communication specialists from around the world on January 28- 29th at Mysuru.
Mysuru to obtain Cauvery river gallery
- A memorandum of understanding has been signed by Karnataka’s Tourism and the National Academy of Sciences of India (NASI) under which a Cauvery river gallery would be set up in Mysuru.
- The gallery is expected to show the life, culture and biodiversity along the river from its birth in Kodagu till it reaches the Bay of Bengal.
- The cost incurred to build the gallery would be Rs. 3.5 Crore.
‘Sampoorna Arogya Keralam’ medical care project approved by the Cabinet
- It has been decided by the State Cabinet to implement the ‘Sampoorna Arogya Keralam’ project that was announced in 2015- 16 State Budget.
- The purpose of the project is to bring all the major government health services under one umbrella.
- When this is done, people won’t be required to visit multiple offices or agencies for medical care.
Lanshankar Thakar Died
- Labhshankar Thakar, renowned Gujarati writer and poet died on 6th January 2016 in Ahmadabad due to a prolonged illness.
- He was 80 years old.
- He had been awarded several times for his works including the prestigious Sahitya Akadami Award (1991) for his poetry
India to skip BS-V, jumps to BS-VI norms from April 1, 2020
- In an effort to curb vehicular pollution, the Centre has decided on 7th January 2016 to implement stricter emission norms of Bharat Stage (BS) VI from April 1, 2020, by skipping BS-V on the whole.
- The decision was taken at an inter-ministerial meeting which was chaired by Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari, and was attended by Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, Heavy Industries Minister Anant Geete and Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar.
Mufti Sayeed died; Mehbooba expected to succeed as CM
- Mufti Sayeed the Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir who was a crafty politician who had risen to become the first Muslim Home Minister of the country died on 7th January 2016 at AIIMS hospital, Delhi.
- He died after his platelets dropped severely and was 79 years old.
- On December 24th 2015, He was flown from Srinagar in a special plane and admitted to the AIIMS Hospital where he was diagnosed with sepsis and pneumonia.
Wattan Ko Jano initiative being carried out
- An initiative that is being carried out by the Union Ministry of Home Affairs in coordination with the Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Government, was featured in news on 6 January 2016.
- The name of the initiative is “Wattan Ko Jano” and aims to expose youth from J&K to rest of India.
- After more than 240 youth in the age-group of 15 to 24 from J&K met with Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi, the initiative came into the limelight.
33% reservation for women in constable level position in paramilitary forces
- Rajnath Singh, the Union Home Minister has recently approved 33% reservation for women in Central Armed Police Forces (CAPFs) at constable-level positions.
- According to an official statement released by the Ministry of Home Affairs, there will be 33% reservation for women at constable-level posts in Central Reserve Police Force and Central Industrial Security Force, and 14-15% reservation at the constable level in border guarding forces i.e. Border Security Force, Sashastra Seema Bal and Indo Tibetan Border Police, starting immediately.
Current Affairs: Business/ Finance
Freecharge founder Kunal Shah appointed as Chairman by IAMAI
- Industry body Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI), which counts companies such as Facebook, Microsoft and Google as members, announced Kunal Shah, the co-founder of ‘FreeCharge’ as its new chairman.
- Shah succeeds Nishant Rao, who happens to be the Ex- Managing Director of LinkedIn.
UberExchange Startup mentorship programme launched by Uber
- Uber the taxi hailing application announced a new start- up mentorship programme in partnership with Invest India.
- The programme is called “UberExchange” and over the next years, Uber will host a series of six leadership talks by senior Uber executives, including from their headquarters in San Francisco, the company said in a statement.
- Issues faced by entrepreneurs such as fund-raising, product design, engineering and how to scale up a business will be addressed by the programme.
CMD of Madras Filters: AB Khare
- AB Khare has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of the state-run Madras Fertilzers for a five-year term by the centre.
- The government headhunter Public Enterprise Selection Board (PESB) had recommended the name of Khare for the post of CMD at Madras Fertilizers Ltd (MFL) last year in the month of August.
General President of 105th Indian Science Congress: Achyuta Samanta
- On 6th January 2016, Dr Achyuta Samanta was elected as the General President of the 105th Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) that is scheduled to be held in 2017-18.
- Currently, Samanta is serving as member of Executive Council of Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA).